As the summer in Dubai heats up, it’s essential to be prepared for any eventuality while on the road. So, what should you carry in your car to make sure you stay safe while navigating the scorching desert terrain?
It’s all too easy to overlook the vital supplies that could save your life or that of another. From spare tires and jump leads, to emergency contact numbers and roadside assistance numbers, here are five items you must have in your car this summer if you want to survive and travel safely in Dubai.
We’ve put together a survival kit checklist of the essential items you should carry with you when traveling this summer by car in Dubai. Don’t leave home without it!
Spare Charger and Battery Pack for Your Phone
Summer in Dubai can be hot and unforgiving, so it is important to be prepared for anything. One of the most essential items you should carry with you in your car is a spare charger and battery pack for your phone. Not only will this help you keep your phone charged and ready for emergencies, but it could also be the difference between being stuck on the side of the road and getting home safely.
A battery pack or charger should be able to provide enough power to at least get you a few minutes of usage time in case of an emergency. Look for one that has strong battery life, a range of USB outputs, and durable construction so it can withstand the heat of Dubai’s summers. And don’t forget to keep it close at hand—you don’t want to find yourself in need of urgent assistance but unable to make a call because you forgot where you stored your spare charger!
Cooling Products: Portable Fan, Cooling Towels and Misting Fan
Cooling products are a must-have for summer in Dubai. Even with all the precautions you can take, it’s still important to bring along products to keep you cool and comfortable as you drive.
Here are the essentials:
- Portable Fan: A portable fan is a great way to keep the air circulation going while driving, and some can even run on batteries if your car lacks power outlets.
- Cooling Towels: These clever towels help keep you cool by absorbing moisture from your skin and evaporating, leaving behind a pleasant chill. They’re lightweight and easy to pack in your glovebox.
- Misting Fan: A misting fan can be an invaluable tool for hot days; it will give your face an instant cooling sensation when it starts spritzing out droplets of water.
Emergency Water and Snacks to Avoid Dehydration
When you are on the road in the scorching heat of Dubai, you need to take special precautions to avoid dehydration. In the unlikely event of a breakdown, having enough water and snacks will be a life-saver.
Here’s what you should include:
- At least 1 liter of water per person.
- Snacks such as dried fruits, nuts and energy bars to keep your energy levels up and maintain your focus while driving.
- Drinks such as juice or sports drinks that can replace the fluids and electrolytes lost in sweat.
It’s also important to regularly check that your food and drink supplies remain safe throughout the summer. Make sure all snacks, bottles, boxes and cans are tightly sealed so they don’t spoil in the heat or mix with sand or dust from outside.
Basic Car Tools and Equipment for Roadside Emergencies
Being prepared for a roadside emergency is essential when driving in Dubai, especially during the hot summer months. Having the right tools and equipment to hand can help you stay safe and avoid costly repair bills. Here are five basic car tools and equipment that you must have in your car:
It is important to have an array of basic hand tools on board, such as pliers, wrenches and screwdrivers. These will come in handy for making small adjustments or repairs to your vehicle.
Battery Jump Start Kit
A jump start kit is always useful for restarting a dead battery, or helping out a stranded driver in need of a jump start.
Warning triangles are essential for alerting other motorists to your presence when stopped along the side of the road.
Having a fire extinguisher on board can help you put out any small fires that may occur in your vehicle as a result of an electrical short or mechanical malfunction.
Tire Change Kit
A tire change kit should include items such as a tire iron and spare tire, so you’ll be prepared if you get an unexpected flat tyre while on the road in Dubai.
Sun Protection Essentials: Sunscreen, Sunglasses and Sun Shields
To enjoy all that Dubai has to offer during its hot summers, sun protection essentials such as sunscreen, sunglasses and sun shields are a must.
Choose SPF 30 or higher to protect your skin from the harsh rays of the sun. Apply sunscreen before you begin your journey and regularly reapply with the changing environment. Don’t forget to apply sunscreen to your face, neck, hands and any other exposed areas of skin for maximum protection.
UVA and UVB radiation can cause serious eye damage due to prolonged exposure in Dubai’s extreme heat. Sunglasses are essential for protecting your eyes from the sun’s rays while also providing added comfort while driving in the desert or beach atmosphere. Look for sunglasses with 100% UV protection as they will block almost all of the UVA and UVB rays that can damage vision over time.
The intense heat and direct sunshine can make any car ride uncomfortable, especially during long drives in summer months. To avoid direct sunlight, equip your car with sunshields – windshield covers that reflect light off the outside of the vehicle window – for a comfortable car ride even when it’s extremely hot outside.
First Aid Kit Fully Stocked for Any Medical Emergency
Taking a summer trip in your car to Dubai? Make sure you have an up-to-date first aid kit to be prepared for any medical emergency. Having the right supplies in your kit ensures that you are able to handle most minor injuries until medical help arrives.
A basic first aid kit should include the following items:
- Bandages (assorted sizes)
- Gauze pads
- Disposable medical gloves
- Antiseptic wipes and ointment
- Sterile eye wash/dressing
- Burn cream
- Adhesive tape and safety pins
- Scissors and tweezers
- Instant cold packs
- Digital thermometer with case
In addition to the basics, there are several items you may want to include for extra protection, such as:
- Emergency blankets: These can help keep you warm if stranded.
- Prescription medication: Bring enough medication for the duration of your trip.
- Eye drops, painkillers, and antidiarrheal medications: Stock up on these so you’re prepared if someone gets sick on the road.
Having a first aid kit prepared ahead of time will save you from having to scramble around in an emergency situation—keeping everyone safe and healthy on your summer adventure!
What to do in case of emergency
When driving in hot weather, it is important to plan ahead in case of an emergency. You must have the appropriate items in your car so that you are prepared for any situation.
These five items will be essential for surviving potential emergencies while driving in Dubai during summer:
- Water – Make sure you have enough water to keep you hydrated and energized, as dehydration can lead to mild disorientation and fatigue which can put you at risk on the roads.
- First Aid Kit – Have a comprehensive first aid kit including bandages, gauze pads, antiseptic creams and wipes, over-the-counter pain medication, among other medical supplies.
- Reflective Safety Triangle – In the event of breakdown, place a reflective triangle away from the vehicle to alert other drivers that there is an obstacle ahead and make sure all passengers are safely away from the vehicle.
- Torchlight – A torchlight or flashlight should be included in your car kit for various reasons such as changing a tire at night or for indicating your position during a breakdown situation.
- Car Jack & Tire Iron – There may come times when driving in Dubai during hot weather where changing a tire becomes necessary; preparing yourself with a car jack and tire iron could save your day!
While a road trip to Dubai is an exciting proposition, motorists need to be mindful of the summer season. With temperatures soaring in the region, having the right supplies in your car can make all the difference in an emergency. The provided survival kit checklist includes five must-have items that you should consider bringing with you when traveling in extreme summer conditions. From car seat covers and sun shades to cooling devices and hydration packs, the safety of your passengers should be the number one priority throughout the duration of your car journey.
Summertime in Dubai can be a scorcher, and it’s important for drivers to be prepared for any potential emergencies or breakdowns with a well-stocked survival kit. As such, it pays to have the right items in your vehicle so you and your passengers are safe on the roads. With this guide, you’ll learn which items are crucial to include in your car’s summer-ready emergency kit so that you can stay safe and worry free all summer long.